Thursday, January 23, 2014

Thali and Dosa

Typical Thali

Delicious Dosa

This is the food that I have eaten every single day since we arrived. It's not always the same- a different variation on the basic theme. I've been sticking to veg mostly. I've had a little meat here and there but I love the veg choices and figure it is safer for the most part.

Thali comes on a stainless steel compartmentalized tray or a round stainless tray with separate little metal bowls. This one has rice, a pappad (thin crispy wafer) and some chapatti along with an assortment of different dhal, spicy sauces, mixed veg, chutneys, curd or dahi (yogurt) and some sort of pickle (spicy mango or lime.) It is so freaking good. Sometimes it is bottomless- they'll come around and refill. Every one is a little different but I haven't had one I didn't like. Our lunch today was amazing for Rs70 (just over a buck.)

Dosa is what I've had for breakfast every morning. It is large rice flour crepe stuffed with a mixture of onions or veg. My favorite is the masala dosa which is stuffed with spicy potatoes and onions. It is served with a bowl of dhal, spicy tomato sauce and coconut chutney.  So yummy and cheap- about Rs45 or 75 cents. I like mine with masala chai which is a milky spicy sweet tea. The right amount of spice. I love a savory breakfast.

Both of these are meant to be eaten with your hands ( or should I say hand- the right one- which is a challenge for a lefty like Mike.) I'm pretty skilled at eating dosa with my hand but I haven't gotten the hang of scooping the rice of the thali with the sauces. Usually just use a spoon.

We are now in Mysore. The overnight train was good. 2 Tier AC is a brilliant way to travel. We each had our own little bed. They give you a neat little package with clean sheets, a blanket and pillow. You make up your little bed and pull the curtain for privacy. People just sprawled out all over but got a pretty decent nights sleep all considered.  The 12+ hour trip went very quickly. We walked around a bit today exploring the markets. We'll go explore the Mysore Palace tomorrow.

Mary asked if we are sticking to our $100/day budget and the answer is yes! We have managed to average about $50-55/day. We stay at pretty nice midrange hotels, eat, drink and travel well. Things just don't cost much- today we are having our laundry done (can't wait for clean clothes!) for about $4. A newspaper is Rs4- 6 cents, Chai is Rs10 on the street or the train- 15 cents. A big beer is Rs85- $1.40. Hotels are Rs600-2000- $10-30. The most expensive room we had was in Mumbai for Rs 2500 about $45. An autorickshaw ride anywhere in this town costs Rs50 or 80 cents.

We are next to a mosque and just heard the call to prayer. Going to play some cribbage then have dinner. Life is good!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the budget details--sounds great!! Food looks yummy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got caught up on all your entries and almost feel like I am there at times. I have enjoyed reading and look forward to what comes next.
    Calee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, the simple delights of clean laundry. Love your descriptions of your meals. So glad you are enjoying your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg! I would love to have some of that food!! Looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete