Monday, January 13, 2014

Moving On

From Rebecca-

We are moving on to Goa this afternoon. My first experience on an Indian train. Last time we were here we traveled by car with our amazing driver Tej Singh. Should be a much different experience. Mumbai has been amazing but I'm looking forward to a little slower pace and some beach time.

Our hotel here has been great. Clean, affordable, good wifi, breakfast included and a good location- on Marine Drive across from Chowpatty Beach. Along the beach is a promenade that goes along the bay. A very popular place to watch the sunset which we did last night. We are in close walking distance to many tourist sites. I bet we walked at least 10 miles in the last few days.

More than anything it has been a matter of getting used to being here. Getting over jet lag which from my experience takes at least 3 nights. Getting on a night train to Goa might set me back a little.

Getting used to the food. We have been pretty careful with food- mostly veg but we have had a couple of amazing fish meals too. All Indian except for our breakfast which has been eggs and toast. This morning we requested Indian breakfast and were brought chutney, yogurt and some kind of spicy cakes made from chickpeas. Everything has been so delicious. Yesterday afternoon we stopped at a grocery and Mike walked out with a bag of grapes. The common wisdom with food is- if you can't peel it, boil it or cook it, forget it. I guess Mike didn't get the memo. It wasn't going to be easy to peel all of those little grapes and being the cheapskate that he is he couldn't throw them away (or nor would you dare with all of the hungry folks right outside your door.) He did find a boy at the Churchgate train station who gratefully accepted the grapes. So far things are OK with our stomachs but it's really just a matter of time and Mike will probably fill you in with every awful detail.

It also takes some getting used to being around so many people- 12 million people in Mumbai. I don't blend in... In fact I'm something of a curiosity. We walked down to the main tourist area in Colaba at the tip of Mumbai. Site of the Taj hotel and the Gate of India. A lot of foreign tourists but also many Indians enjoying a beautiful Saturday afternoon. We stopped at the end of the jetty to have a drink of water and take in the sights. Mike was chatting with a young man and I pulled out my camera to take a few photos. Soon I noticed that people were trying to sneak photos of me. One family sat down next to me to get a shot of me and their baby. I started to notice this happening a lot. Especially the baby thing. It hasn't really happened to Mike. Is it good luck to have your baby's photo taken with a blond white lady?

I have a few more things for my list of things I'm worried about-
#1 Falling in a hole. I'm not worried about a hell hole opening in front of me or anything. It's just that the streets are very uneven and the sidewalks which are made of brick or tiles sometimes have a tile or two missing. It would really stink to be here with a sprained or broken ankle.
#2 Losing Mike. Mike has this habit of walking just a couple of steps behind me. He has always done this, I don't know why. My fear is that I will be walking along and I'll turn around and he will have disappeared. I told him about my worries and he is staying very close and we do have a plan in case we get separated.
#3 Getting hit by a bus, autorickshaw, bike, taxi, truck, car etc... This is a very valid concern. Traffic does not stop in a predictable fashion. The safest approach is to gather in a tight bundle with whoever else needs to cross and move as a group. Mike is very good about taking my hand for street crossings. Still is a little dicey but we have never seen anyone get hit.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Reebs,
    All three fears seem pretty legit (remember when the boys used to use that word constantly??:), and now you have given voice to them so you are all good to go. I think you need to also consider the danger of being petted too much by all the curious and adoring lovely people:) You will be safe my friend, I just feel it. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prince Phillip always walks a few steps behind Queen Elizabeth. Maybe its a royalty thing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how difficult it was for you to get that train ticket sorted out, so I'm hoping your journey is smooth and easy! As to your fears,I think all 3 can be mitigated if you and Mike just start holding hands more often. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do feel like royalty here and Mike and I are holding hands constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All legitimate concerns! Stay close, and as any good nurse…has a back up plan. I can see in the pic you posted that the young crowd is drawn to your beauty, skin, hair …all the more reason for Mike to stay close. Love this blog!

    ReplyDelete