Sunday, March 23, 2014

Addendum to Mike's Post

From Rebecca-
Having done some research I'll set the record straight about the eggs. The eggs we saw on the street almost certainly did not have embryos in them although I did see something similar in a market in Thailand. This has made me suspicious of all eggs that I see. And those of you who know me well will remember that I am pretty picky when it comes to eggs. They have to be cooked really well and definitely sans embryo...
I found this recipe online-
http://globaltableadventure.com/2010/08/22/recipe-cambodian-grilled-eggs/
I'm sure that this is what we are seeing for sale on the streets although I'm not sure why you have to go to the trouble of steaming them, skewering them and grilling them. Seems like you could just mix all the ingredients and make a tasty scrambled egg but you would lose the wow factor of seeing them on the stick. It could be a fun thing to try at home if you have some time.
Would I try these on the streets on Cambodia? Probably not at this time. My stomach has been a bit delicate since arriving in Cambodia and like I said I'm not an adventurous egg eater under any circumstances. I would like to point out that I did try what is known as a century egg (or hundred year or thousand year egg) while at a wedding in Thailand. It's a delicacy where an egg- duck, chicken or quail- is preserved for several weeks to several months in a mixture of clay, ash, salt, quicklime and rice hulls (according to Wikipedia.)
It was tasty enough but I probably won't need to try it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment