Monday, February 3, 2014

Cherai Beach

My bus friends

Festival procession as seen from the bus

Beautiful Beach

View from my sun bed- I was trying to capture the dolphins swimming by

Fisherman hauling in their nets.

Mike blogging from a sun bed

Our little home away from home
 
 
We caught the bus here yesterday morning which was a crazy experience. Mr. Abu at our guest house told us to not get on the bus unless we had a seat. I think we would have to wait for the rest of our lives for that to happen. The bus was completely full when it showed up. We crammed on- me in the front with the ladies, Mike in the back with the gents. We only packed a small bag for this couple of nights. I left my big pack with Mr. Abu. Good thing I did- there definitely would not have been room for me and my pack.
I started by standing in the doorway which was really scary- hanging on to a strap for dear life. I could only glimpse the top of Mike's head way in the back. After a couple of stops a space in the front next to the driver sitting on the hump over the engine cleared and the ladies insisted I sit there. I had a front row seat to the mayhem that is an Indian bus ride. The drivers are crazy! Honking the horn constantly and barely moving over to over take anything smaller which is every other vehicle and creature on the road- at top speed. I met some lovely young university students who allowed me to take their pic and helped me with which stop I should get off.
Mike and I reunited and took an autorickshaw to a place that we heard was nice. And is it ever. Beautiful resort with sun beds and a restaurant with great food right on the sea. We had an amazing grilled red snapper for dinner last night.
We've been pretty lazy- went for a walk and swam a little but really just planted ourselves on a couple of sun beds and have enjoyed the view and breeze. We rented bikes so we'll go out and explore a little but it would be easy enough to just stay here.
Tomorrow it's back to the city. The next day on to a hill station where they have tea and spice plantations. We think from there we'll go check out another beach place further south. I know- it's a tough life.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Uncle Mike and Aunt Becky! This is Lia. I hope you are enjoying your trip in India. All of your pictures are so cool. Thanks for the post card you sent me. Right now it is snowing in Traverse City and is super cold out! (P.S. The ground hog saw his shadow... six more weeks of winter!) It is so cold out that Mt. Holiday closed and we haven't had the chance to go skiing at all this weekend. Is it warm and sunny in India? Are the beaches really sandy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lia. This is Uncle Mike. I'm sorry to hear about the ski hill closing. Your mentioning it made me think about our day skiing. Made me smile. I'm glad you're enjoying the pictures (all of the good ones were taken by me!) And yes! It is so warm and Sunny. We haven't seen so much as a cloud the whole time we've been here. The beaches are very sandy, too. Unfortunately, the water is just a bit cloudy, so it's hard to see what's on the bottom, but it reminds me a lot of our beach in North Carolina. With cows. Always with cows...and sometimes goats. But that makes it kind of fun. The kids here are super friendly. They smile and wave. Say hello. OK. I'll say goodbye now. Thanks again for the nice message. Keep reading! (See you come summer,
      Love,
      Uncle Mike

      Delete
  2. Mike reminds me of grandpa Cook sitting by the table that way...I think Larry has a picture to back this up...do they separate the men from the ladies on the bus because of wandering hands and such?..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Lia is keeping up on the blog, and commenting. I wondered that about the bus, too…Steve.
    Oh that beach looks gorgeous! And those sun beds. Just a little piece of heaven.

    Be sure to take a video if you see the fainting goats. hugs…

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is exactly why they separate men and women. It's just too crowded.
    Are the fainting goats in India? I've seen 100's of goats but none of them fainting...
    Lia, see if you can get over to Grandma's house and help her look at the blog- she has a hard time using the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice trip. Thanks for sharing your trip experience. One of the most beautiful stretches of lovely golden beaches of soft sand facing the Arabian sea , an azure sky and warm clear sea, gives a perfect ambience tempting you to take a dip, go on indulge yourself and let the waves sweep you off your body and spend your time lazing on the beach and relax in the breeze shade undisturbed for some time, quench your thirst from tender coconuts and encounter with many a friendly crabs. Check out more about Cherai Beach.

    ReplyDelete